Watch this brief video then follow the recipe.
Alton Brown’s Roasted Turkey
Recipe Type: Dinner
Roasting your turkey this way gives you a crispy skin without drying out the meat.
- Turkey, fresh or completely thawed
- Canola oil
- Favorite spices
- Wash the turkey, remove giblets, pat turkey dry with paper towel.
- Place turkey in a roasting pan.
- Create a triangle of foil to cover the breast area but leave the dark meat area of the legs exposed.
- Remove this “helmet” and set aside.
- Rub bird with a thin layer of Canola oil and sprinkle it with your favorite spices.
- Place in oven pre-heated to 500 degree. (No, that’s not a typo. You want to sear the bird so it’s a beautiful brown.)
- After 30 minutes, place the “helmut” on the bird.
- Turn down the oven to 350 degrees.
- Continue roasting without opening the oven for about an hour and a half for a 14 pound bird.
- You want to achieve 161 degrees when your meat thermometer is placed in the thickest part of the dark meat.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes.
- During that time, the internal temperature will rise a bit and the juices will stabilize. Then you can take it to the table and carve it.
- Suggestion: show your guest the beautiful turkey and then take it back to the kitchen to carve it onto another platter.